At Elms Farm Cottages we are committed to provide suitable access for all our guests. All our cottages, except The Stables have been graded by the National Accessibility Scheme. We can offer guests a choice of cottages from those with complete ‘Doc M’ wet room facilities through to others with accredited bathrooms.
Our cottages have been converted from traditional farm stables and barns. They are all ground floor with level access terraces and pathways.
As members of Open Britain and Tourism for All we welcome all visitors and if you have special requirements we will endeavour to help you choose the most suitable cottage for your stay.
- Our website contains comprehensive information of all aspects of our cottages. Floor plans are available for each cottage together with detailed access measurements that cover almost every piece of furniture or appliance. See the link at the bottom of each cottage on our website to download the floorplan and measurements or ask for details when you contact us. Large text versions are available on request.
- Individual cottage pages on the website with their respective images give guests the opportunity to see each cottage before booking or arrival.
- Bookings can be made via email, text message, letter, telephone call to either our office or mobile. (Booking and availability will soon be available on our website)
- Hubberts Bridge railway station is 300 metres away, but only a limited number of trains stop here each day. Boston railway station is 3 miles away and taxis can be arranged for your arrival.
- The nearest bus stop is in Hubberts Bridge about 600 metres from our cottages. Care must be taken walking over Hubberts Bridge which crosses the railway line and the river. A public footpath exists each side of the crossing but not on the bridge itself.
- Taxis operate from Boston including vehicles specifically for wheelchair users.
arrival and private car parking facilities:
- Please note that unless otherwise agreed check-in is between 3pm and 6pm as we do not have a 24 hour reception. Check-out is by 10.00am on the morning of departure.
- Pedestrian access to our car park is from the public footpath at the side of the A1121.
- Vehicular access to our car park for all our holiday cottages is from the A1121.
- The Main Car Park is signed and has a level tarmac construction allowing level access to our wildflower meadow, lawns and the block paved entrance to the courtyard.
- An overflow car park for functions at The Granary can be accessed from the Main Car Park and is finished with a granite pebble topping.
- 4 tarmac car parking spaces have been allocated and are signed specifically for disabled use. There are a further 10 tarmac spaces of standard width. Further parking is available in the overflow car park.
- The distance from the nearest disabled car park space to the nearest (Willow) cottage is 12 metres.
- Access to the courtyard is made from the car park through the signed covered entrance which is 2 metres wide and 11 metres long.
- Level access to the waste and recycling wheelie bins located in the car park area, 1250mm to the top of each bin which have sliding or lift-up lids.
public area - courtyard:
- Access to all the cottages except The Stables is from the central paved courtyard. Access to The Stables is direct from the Car Park.
- Level access to 5 cottages (Beech, Holly, Walnut, Willow and Oak) together with low threshold doorways.
- Access to Elm, Yew and Ash Cottages is via a 3 metre block paved ramp with handrails and a slope of 1:15, again all these cottages have low threshold doorways.
- All 5 circular picnic tables in the courtyard are suitable for direct wheelchair access.
- The picnic tables are 770mm high with 690mm clear depth to the underside of the table.
- Provision for up to 3 wheelchairs at each picnic table for a wheelchair up to 660mm wide.
- BBQ cooking surface in the courtyard can be adjusted to 620mm or 770mm high.
public area - laundry room:
- Access to the laundry is made via a short block paved ramp with a handrail on one side and a slope of 1:15 with a level floor entrance.
- The laundry room door has an automatic door closer fitted, which prevents the door closing too quickly.
- Décor is contrasting with black skirting, white walls and brown floor tiles.
- Black laundry door handle 940mm high on a grey coloured door.
- The laundry door has a clear opening width of 920mm.
- The lights turn on automatically after sensing movement, then auto shut-off after 20 minutes.
- White toilet door handle 790mm high on a blue door.
- Toilet door has a clear opening width of 890mm with a coat hook at 1260mm high. Pull to open with a right hand hinge.
- Laundry toilet horizontal hand rail fixed on the inside of the door 1000mm high and 600mm long.
- Toilet pan 470mm high, toilet pan with seat down 500mm high
- Toilet flushing lever handle 830mm high
- Toilet roll 890mm high
- Fixed vertical hand rail on right hand side of toilet 800mm to 1400mm high
- Horizontal swing down hand rail on right hand side of toilet 700mm high and 700mm long
- Fixed horizontal hand rail on left hand side of toilet 700mm high, 700mm long
- Washbasin 730mm high with mixer lever tap 830mm high with 290mm depth of reach
- Washbasin fixed vertical handrail from 800mm to 1400mm high
- Automatic hand drier 1080mm high
- Worktops 920mm high with tourist information, books, games and DVD’s
- Further tourist information booklets on wall mounted display at 800mm and 1100mm high
- Washing machine controls 700mm to 800mm high, with front loading drum 350mm to 600mm high Electric isolator above worktop at 1150mm high and 770mm depth of reach
- Tumble drier controls 700mm to 800mm high, with front loading drum 330mm to 650mm high. Electric isolator above worktop at 1150mm high and 770mm depth of reach
- Elm, Oak, Yew and Ash Cottages all vary in their layout and access arrangements. Please view or download the file of detailed access measurements and floorplan from our website for each cottage you are considering staying or follow the links below:
Elm Cottage access measurements
Oak Cottage access measurements
Yew Cottage access measurements
Ash Cottage access measurements
- Beech, Holly, Walnut and Willow Cottages are virtually identical in their layout and have 'Doc M' pack wet room showers. Again please view or download the relevant file for the detailed access measurements and floorplan from our website, or follow the links below:
Beech Cottage access measurements
Holly Cottage access measurements
Walnut Cottage access measurements
Willow Cottage access measurements
- The Stables is not recommended for wheelchair access as the entry step is 55mm high and both the French doors will need to be opened for entry or exit to the cottage. In addition there are a limited number of of hand rails in the bathroom and shower room, however The Stables has level access once inside the cottage. The detailed access statement for The Stables can be downloaded from our website, or follow the link below:
Stables Cottage access measurements
- If you prefer, all our Detailed Access Statements can either be emailed or posted to you. Please state if you require our large text version.
- We have a number of aids that may benefit you during your stay at our cottages, and to avoid disappointment they should be reserved at the time of booking. An extra charge is made for a ‘Z’ bed, but no charges are made for any of the mobility aids but they are subject to availability.
- Shower wheelchairs
- Bath seat and step
- Perching stools
- Electric riser chair (only available in Elm Cottage)
- Personal portable alarm
- Bed rail
- Blocks to raise the bed and dressing table
- Flash and/or vibrating alarm clock
- Childs cot (excluding linen)
- High chair
- ‘Z’ bed
- Level access to all the lawns and gardens.
- Level access to the wildflower meadow via the car park.
- A grassed path allows guests to walk through the wildflowers
- 2 picnic tables with space at each end for wheelchair users are provided in the area of the BBQ Lodge.
- Level access to the grass field and wildlife lakes (nearest lake is about 200 metres from the car park) but access is vis a grass track, not metalled roads.
- If you require further information or if you have any comments about how we can improve our service please contact us by one of the following methods:
- By telephone to 01205 290840. If the office is unmanned a short message can be left on our answerphone; for us to ring you back please speak clearly leaving both your name and telephone number.
- By mobile phone or text message to 07887 652021. If you would like us to ring you back please make sure your number is not hidden when ringing us, or leave your number on the mobile answerphone.
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Guest information folders are available in every cottage and give details about local services as well as what to do in the event of an emergency. A large text version is available on request.
- Our aim is one of continuous improvement and you can help us achieve this with your helpful comments and feedback.
- Don’t be afraid to ask us to provide something new!